Sitting is the New Smoking!
ARE YOU SITTING YOURSELF TO DEATH?
If you are a smoker, you know very well that you’re asking for trouble as it is known to be a leading cause of death worldwide, killing 4,2 million people per year.
But if you do something innocent like sitting, which most people do every day, for six or more hours on end, you probably have no clue of the dire consequences.
Fact is “Sitting is more dangerous than smoking, kills more people than HIV and is more treacherous than parachuting. We are sitting ourselves to death,’’ said Dr. James Levine of the Mayo Clinic in Arizona in an interview with the Los Angeles Times. He coined the mantra “sitting is the new smoking” which has been a wake up call world wide.
You sit whilst you drive to the office and then sink into your chair to start working . . . oblivious of the fact that this has become one of the biggest health hazards of modern society. Medical studies show that even those of you who exercise every day are not immune to the illnesses brought about by hours of sitting.
Studies over the past few years have proven that long daily sessions of sitting can lead to deadly diseases such as obesity and cancer. It will also age your body, impede your creativity, productivity, your looks and your quality of life!
This is why Sitting is the New Smoking!
But there is no need for despondence as there is a solution!
It is the stand up desk which is becoming increasingly popular in offices around the world. And if you have not caught on yet, let’s tell you of at least ten alarming hazards which will scare you right out of your chair to embrace one of our super height adjustable desks with open arms.
Even if you do an hour of exercise per day,
prolonged sitting for six or more hours daily is going to make you sick if not kill you.
Repeated studies over the past decade have established the following repercussions of extended sitting sessions:
1. Blood sugar levels and insulin in your body is affected, which could lead to obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. A Diabetic magazine, Diabetologia analysed 18 studies among 800 participants which showed those who sat more frequent were twice as likely to develop Type 2 Diabetes than those who sat less.
2. Obesity or overweight. After one hour of sitting the production of enzymes that burn fat, declines by as much as 90%. Ongoing sitting slows your metabolism, affecting things like HDL (good cholesterol). The answer is to use an adjustable desk where you can switch between sitting and standing.
3. Your muscles are locked into a sitting position, making you stiff so that when you suddenly move, you may get an injury.
4. Depression often sets in as all the sitting reduces circulation which makes it harder for “feel-good hormones” to reach your brain.
5. A key gene, called lipid phosphate phosphatase-1, is suppressed significantly. You need it to help prevent blood clotting and inflammation for a healthy cardiovascular system.
6. Premature ageing. When you sit all day, your telomeres (the tiny caps on the ends of DNA strands) get shorter faster, according to a Swedish study, published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine. The telomeres shorten every time a cell divides, but when they become too short the cell can no longer divide and dies. This speeds up decay and the rate at which the body ages, as one needs cell division for growing new skin, blood, bone and other cells. The study found that the telomeres of those who did not sit all day had lengthened.
We present to you - The Float Desk
Accordingly the Center for Disease Control proved that a sit-to-stand adjustable height desk is a solution to reduce prolonged sitting and increase overall well being. The human body was not designed to sit all day and now you can quickly sit or stand throughout the day at your desk.
Other Height Adjustable Desks
10. Increases the risk of having non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), according to a recent study among nearly 140,000 middle aged Koreans — published in the Journal of Hepatology. NAFLD is the build up of extra fat in liver cells that is not caused by alcohol. It is normal for the liver to have some fat, but if more than 10 per cent of the liver’s weight is fat, it is called “fatty”. It may cause the liver to swell which may cause scarring (cirrhosis) and may even lead to liver cancer or liver failure. You certainly do not want that as you need your liver to perform many jobs in your body. It processes what you eat and drink into energy as well as nutrients your body can use. The liver also removes harmful substances from your blood.
7. Cancer. The main function of a telomere is to maintain the stability of chromosomes and prevent them from degrading, rearranging or becoming altered. A reduced telomere length would thus increase your risk of cancer. Obesity which may develop from prolonged sitting, is also a major risk factor for various cancers.
8. Altzheimer’s has also been linked with reduced length of the telomeres.
9. Cardiovascular diseases, including heart attacks, strokes and other heart and circulatory diseases which is prone among obese people.
In conjunction with our Height Adjustable Desks,
we recommend you only use the best seating solution possible for the times you actually DO need to sit.
We present to you the Liberty, Diffrient World and Freedom chair.
These chairs aren’t only simple, beautiful and functional – they are ergonomically designed to support and flow with the human body to significantly reduce the impact sitting has on your health and in return boost productivity.
Cape Town Office Furniture Supplier
From design to installation, we continuously strive to provide the best quality executive office furniture at the best prices accompanied by the best service in the industry, while helping our customers achieve the most sophisticated office furniture environment they desire.
Phone: 021 933 2492